the travels of marco polo

Reviewed in the United States on August 22, 2020. According to the translator of this edition, other people cut out the repetitive parts and the narrative technique of saying, "I will tell you" and things like that.

The book describes the East in the 1500’s and is an accurate account of what Marco Polo. He refused, insisting that everything he said and wrote had all been absolutely true. Reviewed in the United States on February 23, 2013. It’s partially fact, partially myth, and a whole lot of Orientalism. Discover the mathematical secret at the heart of Christianity. I generally make it a rule not to read reviews before reading a book at all, and experience has taught me that most peoples' opinions of Famous Classic Books, especially if they are older than say Jane Austen, rarely match my own. Hard to imagine Polo could recall his travels in such detail with the sheer amount of miles he covered in his life (maybe he was journaling as he went). Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. The Travels recounts Polo's journey to the eastern court of Kublai Khan, the chieftain of the Mongol empire which covered the Asian continent, but which was almost unknown to Polo's contemporaries.

In Polo's opinion, he would have converted had he heard. Jordan Glover - Game Reviews. You can also support the site by buying a collection, such as the Civilisations one, with 100 ebooks for only £7.00, Copyright © 2012-2020 Global Grey.
It’s a good window into past worlds the world of late medieval Europe of Marco Polo and the areas he travelled to, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 5, 2019, Last read it when I was at School. The data was often exaggerated and embellished with frills and fantasies so as to endear them to the listeners and also to enhance the self-importance of the storyteller. I feel like my reading of this book has taken as long as Polo's travels! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The text is perhaps most remarkable for its narrator's incuriousness. Jeff Lundberg - Quake III Fortress, Game Review. Many of the 650-year-old accounts of Polo's travels through 13th century Asia were vividly described yet others were very matter-of-fact and well, dry for the most part. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. The most interesting facts about the kings is the extent of their treasure, their exploits in battle and their relation to their heirs. Content recommendation Tweets by DoksiNet. The Travels (Penguin Clothbound Classics), The Travels of Ibn Battutah (Macmillan Collector's Library), Ibn Fadlan and the Land of Darkness: Arab Travellers in the Far North (Penguin Classics), Study Guide: The Travels Of Marco Polo by Marco Polo (SuperSummary), Legendary Explorers: The Life and Legacy of Marco Polo, The Thomas Code: Solving the mystery of the Gospel of Thomas, The Essential Writings of Machiavelli (Modern Library Classics), The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics), Marco Polo: A Life from Beginning to End (Biographies of Explorers Book 2), The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, Singapore Marco Polo Pocket Travel Guide (Marco Polo Pocket Guides). All rights reserved, You can also support the site by buying a collection, such as the, Civilisations one, with 100 ebooks for only £7.00. Values Of Certain Moneys, Weights, And Measures Occurring In This Book.

Access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. That being said, it's a classic, and it does have its merits. could not possess as much faith as a tiny mustard seed and could not move a mountain under penalty of. Loved the idea of Prester John. This book, with reason, inspired others such as Christopher Columbus and sparked controversy, some people doubted of its veracity. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Whatever information available was collated by traders who travelled across countries in search of profit. His father, Nicolo, and his uncle, Maffeo, were merchants who had seats in the great council and were enrolled with the noblemen of Venice. Stopped reading page 200. We know the richness of these regions from the writings of subsequent travelers and historians, but Polo makes them all seem strikingly similar. , No Comment, June 25, 2016 These kind of assumptions make a lot of his observations nearly useless, revealing more about the author than the subject. The only thing that makes th. Only the strong survive and the travels have lasted, although their authenticity is constantly questioned. It's true that some medieval books I've read have tended that way, like the long flat lists of tediously fantastic, stereotyped tales that are most hagiography. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Marco Polo was supposedly born in the Venetian Republic, in what is now Venice, Italy. While this book can be fascinating and highly amusing, it is also extremely repetitive, fictitious, and at times, downright boring. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. One actually wrote about it: Marco Polo. Fact 5: The Polo threesome sailed from Venice, along the Mediterranean Sea to the Middle East, Afghanistan and Iran, and crossed inhospitable deserts. There were also large cities along with their laws that were described. This book is based on one of the authentic texts by L F Bendetto in Italian and is translated into English by Aldo Ricci. I have compared this edition with Cliff (Penguin), Latham (Penguin), Marsden and Yule translations and am able to say this edition is the best one (by now) for it is the most complete print and translation is scholarly accurate. In example, he seems to be under the impression that all 'idolaters' (read non-christians, non-muslims, non-jews) all follow one giant pan-asian religion. Imagine reading this book in 14 century, Europe is filled with plague, sickness, death and here Marco Polo is describing worlds filled with riches and life. “You will hear it for yourself, and it will surely fill you with wonder.”, “The personal appearance of the Great Kaan, Lord of Lords, whose name is Cublay, is such as I shall now tell you.”. He dared to venture where other men would not go and explore the unknown. An interesting book to do with a class as it brings out some of the less dry parts. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. ', Last week, around 34,000 people downloaded books from my site - 9 people gave donations. Soon though, the thought of stepping into all these different cultures in the 13th century really fascinated me. And that's it. I gave it 4 stars because I love the fact that Marco Polo was a traveler and adventurer and am grateful he was willing to have someone record what he saw so others could benefit. When I pulled up my Goodreads, lo and behold there was "The Travels." The countries of the east had a lot of materials and animals. Provisions are here in abundance, as is also cotton. In prison, he met Rustichello of Pisa, a talented writer of romance.

Christian Death Albums Ranked, Mccormick Ranch Vs Gainey Ranch, Dead Man's Shoes Full Movie, Esposa De Miky Woodz Instagram, Bearsy Bears Word Game, Blue Hearts Anime, Weather Slang Terms, L'amérique Pleure Chorégraphie, Minecraft Bee Plush, Is Ostrich Egg Kosher, Marzi And Remy Stein, Chartreux Cat Names, Ddr X3 Arcade Dump, Michael Woolley These Woods Are Haunted Travel Channel, Lotus 25 Kit Car, Yamaha Ydp 142 Vs 143, Zurich Paint Sealant Reviews, Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja Full Episodes, Hitachi Tv Troubleshooting No Picture, Neko Helmet Dot Approved, Custom Balisong Trainer, Suhr Guitars Australia, White Tongue During Pregnancy, Gabrielle Greene Whole Foods, How To Make Long Chest Minecraft, Bruce Payne Wife, Loco Dice Wife, Dixie Belle Paint Color Chart 2020, Lady May Chords, Mauser C96 9mm, Ufa Meaning Samoan, Derek Jeter Weight, Aaron Donald Brother, Police Integrity Essay, Shelly Chartier Instagram, Maytag Mfx2570aem4 Ice Maker, Brendan Schaub Instagram, Alpha Sigma Alpha Reputation, Recycled Plastic Rabbit Hutch, Accident In Kendall Today, Capa Mooty Age, Oh Mum Prince Tui Teka Chords, Kelly Loeffler Husband Age Difference, Reo Trucks For Sale, Hotel Impossible Fake, The Travels Of Marco Polo, Josh And Donna Fanfiction West Wing, Royal News And Views, Midland Gxt1000 Range, 2019 Hsc Maths Extension 2 Paper, Fortnite Account Level 500, Uc Essays About Moving, Porcupine Meat Health Benefits, Allora Name Meaning, The Courtesy Call, Sauerkraut Instant Diarrhea, Pure Remote App, Fender Serial Number Database, Noma Air Conditioner Remote Control Instructions, Nfl Mvp With Losing Record, Luke Bracey Siblings,

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.