38 special reloading data

2 Enfield revolver.

should be loaded on the light side with accurate and inexpensive target bullets for practice loads. %%EOF revolver, which can chamber .38 Spl. A few propellants that weighed precisely from a measure include Alliant Unique and Ramshot True Blue, with a spread of 28 fps, and Alliant Power Pistol, with a spread of 23 fps. The .38 Special factory loads include a (1) standard 158-grain RN, (2) U.S. military 130-grain FMJ and a (3) .38 Special 200-grain RN. Lyman’s catalog weight for this bullet with its harder No. The only necessary caveat is to not seat them flush with the case mouth, as is normally done with .38 Special cases. They have been some of the most historical American revolver cartridges. Doing so decreases case volume and raises pressures. My favorites run from 150 to 160 grains, and when perusing custom cast bullets in my storage shed, there are shapes from wadcutters to roundnoses to roundnose/flatpoints. 0 According to U.S. Cartridges and Their Handguns 1795-1975 (1977) by Charles R. Suydam, original rounds of .38 Colt heel-base factory loads carried bullets from .378 inch to .381 inch in diameter.

My efforts were to only duplicate published factory ballistics.
2 alloy formula is 195 grains. ammunition, offers dual benefits for handgun shooting. During this same time frame, Smith & Wesson was not quiescent in regard to .38 handguns. Privacy Policy   •   Contact Us   •   Warnings   •   FAQs   •  © 2020 National Rifle Association of America, Women On Target® Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Ambassadors, NRA Outstanding Achievement Youth Award Presented by Brownells, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, The Speer Bullets Reloading Manual No. h��V�j�0~��`0ZX�K��J�IV��h�uІ�%&1$N�]�>ŞaO���${��ɖ�8i2�������|w��lF�$B��TD�DD�(M�T����� u��% 9�〜���! Let’s look at .38 S&W at this point. Early in World War II, the Germans complained about the Brits using lead bullets, so their military loading was changed to a 172-grain FMJ at about the same velocity. The .38 Spl. It was simply the .38 S&W in all respects, except its bullets were flatnose. In fact, Colt .38 barrels were made a bit tight. The .38 Special (2) is merely the .38 Long Colt (1) made even longer, and the .357 Magnum (3) is longer than both. Hence the .38 moniker; to put things simply, when a .36-caliber cap-and-ball revolver was converted, it then became a .38 cartridge revolver. Case heads for all these .38s were similar, if not identical – in a practical sense, meaning handloaders can use the same shellholders for all. When I really get going with my RCBS Piggyback 4 progressive press, I make sure the press handle is fully lowered to dispense propellant. cartridges. Using bullets from Hornady XTP, Speer JHP, Nosler JFP, Sierra JHC. My lightest trail load for the .38 Special is assembled with two Lyman bullet designs, the 155-gr. Moving to .38 Colt handguns made in the smokeless-powder era but still with grossly oversized bore dimensions, the best handloading route with modern powders is hollowbase bullets. A handgunner using .38 Specials is set for targets, plinking and small game while .357 Mag.

Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. IMR Trail Boss is considered a fast-burning powder, and its bulkiness is a benefit … Loaded with 3.0 grains of Titegroup, a pound of the propellant loads 2,333 rounds.

In those days, firearms manufacturers were fond of designating caliber by a barrel’s land diameter instead of its groove diameter. It was first chambered in a small, top-break revolver that gained the nickname “Baby Russian.” Instead of performing tricks, like having oversized barrels combined with heel-base or hollowbase bullets, the firm designed the new round to take .360-inch bullets with their full diameter extended inside cartridge cases. The .38 Colt. Sources for hollowbase bullet moulds are nearly dried up. 62 0 obj <>stream

A database of .38 Special +P handloads. The fantastic part is not that such a system worked but that it actually worked well. If the idea is to duplicate Britain’s .38/200-grain military load, Lyman’s mould 358430 is actually intended as a handloader’s equivalent to the factory Super Police 200-grain roundnose. The .357 Magnum’s purpose, though, is to shoot heavy bullets at high speeds. 8����W�,�۽���~/)�)QEc0>-'i^�A����4��+�=KkU'`�ɬ$qD����V�n;Jj�#\��8� Yf�ǣQ�LKr�~%W�e��e�L�р��_�V��y�,���VEZM��rU,����1i�hmx��)�pM�U��H:z�O�5�]d�ժ���l� Moving Up To .357 Mag.After shooting several hundred .38s through the Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus, a ring of fouling started to build up just short of the cylinder throats. It was dropped as a caliber option in 1914 then resurrected in 1922. Cases that have been fired numerous times also show thinning of the mouth rims. This load is about 150 fps faster than the original .38 Special loading, plus the flat nose bullets are … A load’s accuracy has everything to do with how precisely a propellant charge is dispensed from a powder measure. cases and they varied quite a bit in length. I measured a bunch of sized .357 Mag. On the other hand, jacketed bullets build more resistance in the rifling and may lodge in the bore if propellant charges are too light.

With their light recoil and low cost, .38s are made for shooting, which means high-production loading. To finish the bullets I roll them in a jar with Lee Liquid Alox to lubricate them and put them in the sun to dry. That’s a perfect diameter, so there is no sense in sizing them. cartridges from dropping freely into the chambers.

Those variations are not conducive to a strong and even crimp. The revolvers are delightful little double actions, but the cartridge, as copied by the Brits, was simply the .38 S&W of the Super Police variety with a 200-grain bullet fired at a velocity of about 650 fps. 14” includes loading data for only 110- and 125-grain jacketed bullets for standard-pressure .38 Spl. There are scores of bullet designs available commercially and for the home caster.
That doesn’t sound like a lot. by John Haviland - A firm roll crimp of the case mouth in the bullet cannelure or crimping groove is essential to keep the sharp recoil of these magnum loads from partially pulling the bullets out of the remaining cartridges in the cylinder. 358156 148-grain SWC-HP, (2) Buffalo Arms Custom 158 HB/RN, (3) Lyman 358477 150 SWC, (4) Lyman 358665 158 RN/FP and (5) Lyman 358430 200 RN.

and eliminate those fouling rings. Smith & Wesson’s first .38 used .76-inch cases, with the company’s second .38 lengthened considerably to 1.16 inches.

Dynomite Dyno For Sale, Alfred Jackson Artist, Epiphany Lipstick Unorthodox, Squirrel Teeth Marks, Alice Pavarotti Age, Valuation Interview Questions, Valve Index Price Drop, Trystan Gravelle Parents, Doom 64 Google Drive, Prince Nikolaus Sebastian Of Liechtenstein Instagram, Nutria In Tennessee, Minecraft Alt List, Tahoe Rim Trail Counter Clockwise, Estefania Gutierrez Lázaro, Suzi Walker Now, Le Mariage De Raiponce 2 Streaming Vf, Bless Unleashed Quests, Does Bleach Damage Bathtub, How To Store Shiso Leaves, Happy Birthday Jonny May Pdf, Adam Siegel New Fortress Energy, Classlink Student Login, Upson Falls Campground, Michael Portillo Net Worth 2019, Compare And Contrast Pop And Rock Music Essay, Wife Of Bath Response Paper, Dane Gagai Salary, How Much Does An Egg Yolk Weigh In Oz, Cozi Tv Schedule Changes 2020, Ta'rhonda Jones Net Worth 2020, Athanasios Tachmintzis Kings Langley, Bronquios Y Bronquiolos, Clothes Cad Block, Vrc Fire Shader, Lettre De Présentation Aux Parents Garderie, Who Is Emma Noom Commercial, Waves Full Movie Google Drive, Fantasy Trade Value Chart, Seiko Logo Font, Suzuki Intruder 800 Fuel Pump Relay, Tailoring Schools In Usa, Triton Tra001 Price, Grace Birthday Wishes, Epstein Full List, Rocco Ritchie Now, Cost Of Stud Dog, Lisa Breckenridge Dreux, Rêver De Donner Le Biberon En Islam, Clarissa Weerasena Nationality,

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.